Who controls your future? Who determines what your 2016 will bring?
These are such important questions. If you control your future, you should be very focused on that which you want to create. If, on the other hand, fate determines that which occurs, your planning is of little value. What will happen will happen. You will just be on the ride.
I suppose, in truth, life is always a combination of the two. Certainly, unexpected things will occur over the next twelve months that will impact many aspects of your life and your success. Volatile forces in politics and economics will have their impact on all of our lives. Threats of terror attacks are now shaping our society in ways we would not have imagined a few years ago.
But, we should not forget, or undervalue, our ability to create our lives. Wise people differentiate clearly that which they can control from that which they cannot. They don’t spend much time or energy on that which is out of their control. That is the part that will be what it is. But, they put a great deal of focus on that which they can control.
New Year’s Resolutions are a powerful tool in shaping your year. Here is some concrete advice for using them wisely:
1. Start with dreaming some big dreams for all major aspect of your life. How much money do you want to make this year? What do you want from your marriage? Your family? Your personal life? Jot down whatever comes to mind.
2. Turn those dreams into specific, measurable goals.
3. Evaluate each of your goals by asking if it is truly important to you. There are many things we think we should care about that don’t truly matter to us at this time. Eliminate those from your list. Consider them for next year.
4. Turn each that remains into a plan. What will you do to make these things happen? Be specific.
5. Get out your calendar and put your action items on it.
You have the power to create much of what you want if you harness your energy and get in action.
Happy New Year.